Article powered by Sizle
Updated August 2022
PDFs are some of the most commonly used, and useful files used in an office setting. The only problem is converting other files to a PDF format can be tricky. When you need to convert TIFF to PDF, your primary goal is to do it as quickly as possible. If it’s a work file deadlines are often involved and finding a quick, reliable tool is the best option.
What you don’t realize is document conversion software is not created equal, and it can make converting TIFF files to PDFs complicated. Thankfully, you have other options for converting files and documents, and they’re free.
What is a TIFF File?
When you want to exchange images between different programs a Tag Image File Format or TIFF is commonly used. It even works with scanner images. You use TIFF files in faxing, publishing, 3-D applications, and medical imaging.
TIFF files come in a variety of classes, and it can affect the type of conversion software you use. Not all pay-to-use TIFF to PDF conversion software supports all types of files. TIFF files include full-color RGB gray scale, and color palette. The files can also be CCITT Group 4 standard run-length image compress, LZW, and the popular JPEG.
What is a PDF File?
PDF is the acronym for Portable Document Format file. Created by Adobe, the files contain everything from text and images to embedded fonts, hyperlinks, and more. You can even save a web page to a PDF. The best part of using a PDF is it doesn’t matter what hard or software you use to open it, the file will look the same. It’s a convenient tool when multiple people are looking at the same file on different devices.
How Do You Open a PDF?
Even if you know how to convert TIFF to PDF, it doesn’t help if you can’t open the file. Thankfully, opening a PDF is simple. Adobe’s system is designed to be easy for everyone to use.
Adobe offers a free PDF reader, and it comes with plenty of extra features. Some you may use, and others ignore, but it’s still nice to have.
If you use Chrome for your browser, don’t worry about downloading Adobe. Chrome will take care of everything for you. Click on the PDF link, and the browser automatically opens the file.
How to Convert TIFF to PDF
Whenever you get variable resolution Bitmap images, you need to convert the TIFF file to a PDF. Sizle provides dozens of conversion tools to help people get the final product they need. You usually can’t share a TIFF file with others unless it’s in a PDF format. Even if the TIFF is shared, you risk losing image clarity. This can make it difficult for collaboration or even submission for work or school. A PDF is widely used, so there shouldn’t be any issues with readability.
So, you have several options when you want to convert your TIFF to PDF. Any option you choose will allow you to share the image with others.
Using Adobe for TIFF to PDF
Adobe created TIFFs via acqisition of company The Aldus Corporation, however you may want a free tool you can use to convert the file to a PDF instead, as you will need to download Adobe Acrobat. Acrobat comes with the tools you need to convert the image files. While the software is free, you will need to pay a membership fee to use all of the included tools.
Using Adobe, it only takes five steps to convert your TIFF to a shareable PDF.
- Open Adobe Acrobat and click on the Tools icon to find the Create PDF option.
- Choose Select A File. It will bring up a list of options that include the TIFF.
- Select the TIFF you want to convert to a PDF.
- Click on the tab labeled Create. It’s on a drop-down and not hard to find.
- After choosing Create, the last step is to save the new PDF. You have to choose a location to save the file. Make sure it is one you won’t forget.
It is easy to use Adobe to convert all of your files, but it’s not your only option.
Using Windows for TIFF to PDF
Windows software is something almost everyone is familiar with. You can create everything from graphs and tables to content with Windows. You can also convert TIFFs to PDFs with Windows 10. You will need to access the photo app, but the Print function can do more than communicate with your connected printer.
To convert image files to portable documents:
- Open the photo app and the TIFF file. Click Ctrl + P on the keyboard. It opens the Print function. You are printing the files as a PDF. If you have multiple TIFFs, organize the files into one group. It makes it easy to select all of the TIFFs with your mouse. It’s time-consuming when you convert each file separately.
- When you click on Print, a dialogue box opens. You want to select Microsoft Print to PDF. It also lets you customize output and page size. For example, if the image is too large for your needs the software makes it easy to adjust. Select “Fit Picture To Frame,” and the images will fit the PDF output pages. Click Print when you are ready to convert the files.
- The last step is to create a name for your new PDF and click on the Save tab.
If you have Windows 10 Photo, you don’t need to download Adobe or another type of file conversion software.
Using Mac for TIFF to PDF
Mac users can also take advantage of a built-in app. It easily converts TIFFs to PDFs, and it is also free. The Mac conversion tool also doesn’t come with a lot of features you may never use, especially if you are looking for something simple and easy to use.
- Start by selecting your TIFFs. If you have more than one waiting for conversion, it helps to organize them in a block. Now you only have to drag your mouse over a single area instead of selecting each file individually. Go to the opening menu and click on “Open With”, then “Preview.”
- Go to the left column; it’s where your TIFFs are. Check their orientation, and if you want to make an adjustment, select the Orientation tab. It’s at the top of your toolbar.
- Click on the File tab and then the Print icon in the drop-down menu. In the settings menu, you want to choose the Save As PDF. It’s located on the bottom-left of your screen.
- When you see the “Save As” tab appear, click on it. Now you can name your PDF and pick a storage folder. Don’t forget to add PDF to the file name. Select Save, and your images are now a PDF file.
Using Linux for TIFF to PDF
Converting a TIFF to a PDF using Linux isn’t complicated, but you will need to input a few commands. The commands are simple, and you don’t need to understand computer programming. You start with the command line, tiff2pdf.
The command line works with Debian and Ubuntu, so you don’t need to check which one applies to you. The next command is a little more complicated:
$ tiff2pdf -o output.pdf input.tiff
The command will start the conversion process. It will convert the entire TIFF into a PDF. If there are images you don’t want, you can easily edit the PDFs as needed. Open the file, select editing, and make the necessary changes.
It is free to use the commands with Linux, but you are limited to only TIFF to PDF conversions with the command.
Using an Online File Converter for TIFF to PDF
When it comes to online options, get ready to be overwhelmed. You have plenty of options ranging from free to a monthly membership fee. You want to be careful with online TIFF to PDF file converters. The monthly fees may be a business expense you didn’t account for.
Another problem with online converters is you may not get the image quality you want in the PDF. The technology varies depending on the software you use. You may not realize how poor image quality is until someone opens your shared PDF.
Online file converters also have advantages. You have options, and most come with selectable tools. You can customize your conversion software to meet the needs of your business. The software is also a breeze to use, even if it’s your first time converting image files to portable documents.
- If you only have one TIFF, you can ignore this step. When you want to convert multiple TIFFs, organize them in one place. You can easily select all of your image files after clicking on the Upload Files tab. Most online converts let you upload at least 20 image files at one time. Don’t get impatient during the file upload and move on to the next step. Wait until all of your files are uploaded.
- Select the Upload Files tab after your TIFFs are organized. Depending on the software, the upload may take a few seconds. Be patient. Moving on to the next step before the upload is finished may cause you to lose some image files.
- When the upload is finished, select the Combined tab. It may also be labeled Save or Create, depending on the software.
When you are using online file conversion software, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the product before you start.
Using a Desktop Converter for TIFF to PDF
If you only need to convert the occasional TIFF to PDF, free tools are the ideal option. Even free online programs will meet your needs. However, it may not be the best option if converting image files to portable documents is a daily occurrence. Anyone in the publishing, imaging, content, or other industries where images are a part of most shared files may want to look at using a desktop converter.
TIFF to PDF desktop converters work with Windows, MAC, and most mobile devices. It can also convert other types of files, but there is a downside. The software can only be downloaded after you purchase a key. It is similar to the key you purchase to access your Microsoft subscription. After applying the digital key, you can convert as many files as you want without an additional charge.
The first step is to pay for and download the software. When the software is downloaded, open it up. From there, start organizing your TIFFS if you have more than one.
- When you open the software program, you will see a tab labeled Combine PDF. Click on it.
- A tab giving you the option to Add Files will appear. You want to select it.
- Allow the program to start converting your images files; it may be automatic. Desktop converters differ on how they start changing your TIFFs to PDFs. You may have to click on another tab to start the process.
- Some desktop converters automatically open your newly created PDFs, while others require a prompt. Most will open a dialogue box if additional action is necessary from you.
Desktop converters may be the best option if you frequently deal with shareable image files. The fee may be worth the added business expense. Another advantage to using a desktop converter is the included tools. You don’t have to pay extra to convert other files.
With these types of converters you can convert your PDFs to Word Docs, Excel, JPG, PNG, PPT, and more. You also get editing tools to make your portable document look professional, including the images.
Final Thoughts on Converting TIFF to PDF
When you want to save an image and protect the quality, the best way is with a TIFF. The only problem, it is usually not shareable. The recipient often cannot open the image, or the quality is too degraded. Converting the TIFF to a PDF solves all of these problems. If images are a part of your daily work, think about an online TIFF to PDF conversion tool.
Do you need to convert a Word, PPT or other kind of document to PDF?
Use Sizle’s free PDF Converter for fast and free file conversion.